Sunday, October 27, 2013

Getting to Know Coenzyme Q10 aka Vitamin Q

photo from Amazon.com


the actual product: Somang Coenzyme Q10 Intensive Mask


I've had a couple of skin care products that claims to have Coenzyme Q10 as one of the active ingredients, but I didn't really understand nor did I care what that substance is...until I received this mask from a brand under Amore Pacific. The product name is Coenzyme Q10 Intensive Mask. It claims that the main ingredients are 75mg of Coenzyme Q10 and deep sea water. Before I put this on my face, I thought I better do some research first. 

Here are some information I collected:

'Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a substance similar to a vitamin. It is found in every cell of the body. Your body makes CoQ10, and your cells use it to produce energy your body needs for cell growth and maintenance.'
(source: www.webmd.com)


It has potent antioxidant effects.

As we age the production of CoQ10 of our body tapers off.

CoQ10 is used in premium anti-aging skin care products to boost skin repair and regeneration. It rejuvenates the skin by enhancing the cell’s efficiency. 

It’s really important that it is used in high enough quantities to do a decent job. Experts recommend a minimum of 0.5% in skin care products. 


CoQ10's 5 Benefits for the Skin:


1.     It energizes your skin. Young skin has ample amounts of CoQ10 and so has lots of energy – energy needed to repair damage and make sure the skin cells are healthy. 

2.     It protects against photo-aging – that means premature aging due to over exposing the skin to the sun. The sun is the fastest skin ager. If you don’t believe me, just compare the skin on your behind (that is hardly ever exposed to the sun) to the skin on your face. Enough said! 

3.     It rejuvenates skin by stimulating skin cell activity. Active skin cells get rid of toxins easily and can make better use of nutrients. When your skin ages, all these processes slow down, causing dull and sallow, wrinkled skin. Boost your skin cell activity for younger looking skin with CoQ10. 

4.     It stimulates collagen production. Collagen is the protein that decreases as we age, leading to wrinkles and leathery skin.  Helping you make more collagen, CoQ10 is a skin saving essential.

5.     It is a potent anti-oxidant that acts against oxidative damage. This damage is done by, for example: UV rays of the sun, pollution, toxins, stress. And this damage all leads to one thing: premature aging that shows up on the skin. When metals oxidise, we call it rust. When humans oxidise, we call it aging. Sometimes it also leads to disease. So we need something to help us prevent ‘rusting’. Anti-oxidants like CoQ10 are the answer and have a critical role to play in both the body and the skin. 

(Source: www.drjoetoday.com)


Wow! I didn't know CoQ10 is that beneficial to skin! I'm already 27 so I'm always after anti-aging products. 

So back to the mask:


 It has 75mg of CoQ10 therefore it is highly concentrated.

It's a very thick cream that spreads and melts easily on the face.

How I use it:
I apply a generous amount on my face while massaging thoroughly. Then I let it stay on my skin for 20 minutes so my skin can absorb the nutrients. 
Lastly, I rinse it with water.

The result? My skin feels soft, and more firm in an instant.  

I already have used this about 5 times, once a week. But using this at least thrice a week is better. The reason why I don't use this often is because I have many other masks that I need to use too. 

I'm now planning to buy some CoQ10 supplements. I think I saw one being sold at Healthy Options. I've read this is also good for the heart.


Conclusion:

Coenzyme Q10 is a very skin-friendly substance, that helps prevent premature aging. Just because you have no wrinkles yet doesn't mean you don't need anti-aging products/supplements, especially if you are already 25 years old and above. 
Remember, prevention is always better than cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment