Thursday, October 24, 2013

How to Save a Dried Out Liquid Eyeliner


I bought this liquid eyeliner from Kokuryu because a friend has told me that it's good and that it is a rubberized kind of eyeliner. That was the first time I have heard of a liquid eyeliner that is rubberized, and I actually couldn't imagine how it works. I was really curious.
So when I saw this at Kokuryu makeup counter, I bought one without hesitation.
What disappointed me initially was when I tested the product when I got home. It isn't expired but the liquid was thick and almost dry. It is cheap at Php174 but I don't want my money to get wasted. I started to think of what I can do to save it, if possible.
Then I looked at the ingredients:

One of them is propylene glycol. This substance is being used as base in e-liquid for e-cigarette. It is similar to vegetable glycerin, which is also used as e-liquid base. Between the two, vegetable glycerin is thicker. I don't have propylene glycol but I do have vegetable glycerin in the kitchen. Glycerin is used as moisturizer so I thought maybe it would bring back the moisture in my eyeliner. And so my experiment began.
I didn't take 'before' pictures because I wasn't sure it would work.
What I did was:
1. I put 5 drops of v. glycerin in the eyeliner. Then I closed it tightly.
2. I heated a cup of water in the microwave.
3. I soaked the eyeliner container in the hot water until it started to cool down. Then I took it out of the water and wiped it dry.

Did it work? Yes! The texture of the eyeliner has become thin and runny again and I can finally draw decent lines. (Too bad I didn't take a picture of how it looked like when the eyeliner was dry.)


As for the product quality, I think it's an ok product. The brush is good and the eyeliner is sweat-proof, and is also oil-proof. (I say oil-proof because It was hard to remove it with my oil based makeup remover) It even kind of got glued to my lashes and it hurt while I was removing it. Another thing is, when you make a little mistake while applying it and you tried to erase that little mistake, you'll end up ruining all the lines you've drawn and it's because of the rubberized texture.

I don't think I'm going to use this again. My experience with this product was not a good one. Maybe I'll just give this away to my sister. She's not as picky as me when it comes to eyeliners.











1 comment: